Thursday, January 27, 2011

Thirsty Thursday: Thirstin' To Run

As I approach my first half marathon my training is in full effect! In fact, I completed my first 10 miler this past week-end. I must say, I was proud of myself, I had never ran 10 miles in my life. I am not a runner, though I consider myself to be in great physical condition, running is just too....boring, too...mental for me. So, I guess it's natural to have questioned myself a hundred times as to why I would choose to run ANY race.

Why did I chose to run 13.1 miles anyway? Why would I deliberately decide to tackle a challenge I really had no passion for? Well, here is the answer: It's in Disney World, and it's the Disney Princess Half Marathon, Hello! Yep, I can totally run around in Disney World. I must say, the idea of running this race was nothing short of a personal epiphany. As I drove home from teaching a kick-boxing class this past May, I begin to tell myself I needed a new challenge, a goal, something that needed training and preparation. For some reason I was restless about finding this said challenge. Then, at a red light, it happened, "I should run the princess"! I didn't know when it was, or any of the details surrounding the event, I just knew that was what I should do. As soon as I got home, I was on the computer looking for information. I came across the promotional video and I was done! That video had cemented in me the desire to run this race. I was so excited I felt like I could have ran it right then! I call my sister, fill her in, send her the link for the video, and insist we do this thing! She's in! Now, how to sell my husband? First, he says no....then, decides it's a matter of me going to Disney without him...ha ha...truth comes out. Finally, I sell him on it, and at the end of the day....the whole family, plus my sister, will be Disney bound!

So, the months go by and with five weeks to go I finally start actually running, seven weeks after my proposed training schedule advises I start. EEK! It has been hard trying to fit in my runs with teaching my group fitness classes five days a week. I do get a work-out, but I am so conditioned for them they barley make a dent in trying to train for a half-marathon. You must condition for that too! As of now, I still only fit in two runs a week. And I confess, I am a bit stressed about the whole thing. I am so competitive, but I don't want to miss out on all the on course activities because I am worried about my time. I must get pictures with the characters slated to be at every mile! I guess that's where the training comes in ...must...run..faster!

I have had a few more epiphany's in the process. 1) I run like I teach my classes. 2) My husband and I should go alone and run the Wine & Dine in October. 3) I actually LIKE running, it's not sooo boring. 4) I feel fantastic- maybe it's the endorphins talking?

With that, there are some other confessions too! I would be lying if I didn't say I know exactly where the trees and bush's are that hide me (for a quick break), and I would be lying if I didn't say I was hoping that light up ahead would turn green (again, quick break). And lastly, I would be lying if I didn't say; I am so excited to gain the personal statisfaction of accomplishing my self-imposed new challenge in the "Happiest Place on Earth"!

http://www.disneyprincesshalfmarathon.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment