Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thristy Thursday: Quenching the soul!

 Are you thirsty? Do you drink and yet feel no satisfaction? Do you try something new, hoping this is the thing that will quench that deep thirst you have, a thirst you can't even define? Obviously, this is a metaphor for something more than literal thirsty. I am talking about the thirst you have in your life for something greater then yourself, yet you don't know what it is, or where to find it. We submerse ourselves in activities, maybe a new adventure, or new job. Heck, maybe it's even into a mouse ;) And we are satisfied, for awhile, but the thirst comes back. I do know this, I know exactly how to quench the deeper, longing, needing of something bigger, permanent, dare I say, eternal. And yet, I find I often step away from my well. I want to try a new drink I say. Maybe this; more fitness classes, or that; the Disney Moms Panel (don't get me wrong, I am still applying again next year!). I find they only serve as distractions, leaving me dehydrated, literally. So, as I regroup ,I return to the well and remind myself of this....

Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, ‘If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture said, streams of living water will flow from him.’” (John 7:37)

Get my drink...er..uh...drift? That thirst is a longing for God's word. I know we are not all at the same drinking fountain with this, but only quenching ourselves with water of the world will never provide the lasting fulfillment we are looking for.

So, "seek your hearts and check your cups, pursue your dreams, but don't forget to look up".- Faith Dority

Now, go take a drink and thirst no more.

2 comments:

  1. Such wise words spoke by a young child of God. I wish more people could grasp the simple truths that Christ tought. Regardless of Faith one may be, if they would but live by Christs example our world would be a much better place.

    ReplyDelete