Monday, December 20, 2010

The 3rd, 4th, & 5th Blessing of Christmas

At no other time of the year are people more inclined to give then during Christmas. Charity is never more alive, or more meaningful at any other time. Which brings me to the next Blessing of Christmas.

The Blessing of Kindness
Charity has been a part of Christmas for centuries, but the concept of Christmas Charity has largely been credited to the writing's of Charles Dickens.  Dickens used,  "A Christmas Carol", as an opportunity to spread public awareness and interest in  providing to those less fortunate. As time has passed, we have seen this story replayed in many various forms, in an effort to appeal to a wide range of audiences. This time tested classic has stared Mickey Mouse, Barbie, Mr. Magoo, Bugs Bunny, and even, Bill Murray. However, the concept remains the same. Learn from your past, live in your present, secure your future by giving of yourself to others.

Speaking of Christmas past, what do you remember most? Just like we store our decorations back in the attic each year, there are also Christmas keepsakes we store away in our hearts. They are treasures not to be forgotten, worthy of passing on to the next generation.

The Blessing of Memories
The best part of getting out Christmas decorations is sorting through the boxes. Perhaps as we uncover the treasures each box contains, we also uncover our memories of past Christmases. Our hearts are then flooded with the remembrances each item brings.

For me, ornaments conjure up the fondest memories. As I unpack each one, I am brought back to my wedding, each child's first Christmas, that hand print ornament that gets smaller every year, and vacations, every one is commemorated with a Christmas ornament. Basically, every ornament on my tree tells a story. The conversations I have had with my children about our ornaments have been both light hearted, mommies first ski trip, and blessed, my Cross ornament commemorating my Baptism.

Not only have I been blessed with being reminded of such grand and wondrous memories of events in my life, as well as in the life of my family, but the blessing of my memories is being passed down to my children. Leaving a legacy I have hope will last an eternity.

~ Oh take me back to long ago
   That I may see again,
Wondrous days of carefree play
   That surely had no end.
 And even though I'm happy
 With the soul that I became
I wonder why the Christmas pie
   Will never taste the same~
                                      T.J Mills

The Blessing of Faith
"For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. And it came to pass, as the angles were gone away from them into heaven, the Shepard's said to one another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which has come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us. And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger. And when they had seen it, they made it known abroad the saying which was told them concerning this child. And all they that heard it wondered at those things which were told them by the Shepard's. But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart. And the Shepard's returned, glorifying and praising God for all things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them." Luke 2:11-20 KJV

No comments:

Post a Comment